• Browse Spots
  • Review a Spot
  • Add a Spot
The Basics
Venue Categories
Some text
  • Activity Stream

Judicial Certificate (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap) - Answers for Hanoi

no photo available
Judicial Certificate (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap)
citynirvana posted June 13th, 2009 at 12:33 am to Paperwork.
Viewed 14538 times. Answered 29 times.

I would be working in Vietnam soon. However, for future immigration purposes, I need a Police Certificate from Vietnam authorities, called the Judicial Certificate (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap) at the Provincial Justice Department (So Tu Phap). Is there any kind soul out there who could give me advice on how do I get one in Vietnam?

Answers (jump to newest answer)

no photo available
June 13th, 2009 at 12:46 am

Why have you been told you need this?

no photo available
June 13th, 2009 at 1:41 am

Because for future immigration purposes to any country or subsequent job in another country requires a police clearance these days.

Off-road motorbike tours to Ha Giang province
June 13th, 2009 at 11:06 am

This certificate is usually asked for when you apply for a work permit in Vietnam. It takes about a month after you complete all paperwork (passport, visa translation, work invitation notary copy...) Not easy though.

no photo available
June 13th, 2009 at 11:30 am

Hi offroadvietnam,

I am not too concerned about getting the work permit done in Vietnam, that will be done by my company. The thing I am asking is getting a Police Certificate when I leave Vietnam. When I apply for jobs in other countries, they will require a Police Certificate issued by Vietnam too. I only manage to find from the internet that it is called the Judicial Certificate (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap) issued at the Provincial Justice Department (So Tu Phap). But I am not sure where it is in Hanoi and how it is done, especially if I don't speak the language.

June 13th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I had done some research recently as I *almost* needed a VN Police Clearance for migration purposes. It appears extremely difficult to obtain such a document for non-Vietnamese.

Here are some links, the second contains a phone number for the Justice Department in HCMC:

This is a very specialised subject which has not even been answered in many migration fora.

Anyhow, might it be a bit early to worry about this at this stage, no?


no photo available
June 13th, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I think you will have to get one, or at least clearance to get one, from the district police where you will be living. You'll be registered with them when you rent a place to stay. I'm sure they would be part of the process anyway, even if another department actually issues it, as they are your first point of contact.

June 13th, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Well I'm confused.

It sounds like something a Vietnamese should be asking a Vietnamese and why would you try to sort this out before arrival if the police records check is going to relate to the period you are in this country?

Off-road motorbike tours to Ha Giang province
June 13th, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I've never heard or known any foreigner got this kind of certificate though. As far as I understand, the police in another country will be able to track your record as the way they do in Vietnam. You may obtain more info from So Tu Phap in Hanoi.

no photo available
June 14th, 2009 at 12:04 am

Thanks for the responses. Where is the So Tu Phap in Hanoi?
So would it then be a bad idea working in Vietnam? Without this document, I might not be able to go to another country to work.

no photo available
June 14th, 2009 at 1:13 am

Err...someone has led you astray. You don't need it to work here and I have never heard of anyone asking for it out of Vietnam.

May I ask, are you Viet Kieu? If so, you've probably been told a lot of rubbish by people that think they know. Seriously, your on a website that has never heard of this and if it was needed someone here would know about it.

Chill out and just enjoy coming to work here.

no photo available
June 14th, 2009 at 10:25 am

Hi Grant,
I am not Viet Kieu.

I don't think I am led astray by anybody. The Police Certificate from Vietnam authorities, called the Judicial Certificate (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap) at the Provincial Justice Department (So Tu Phap) was a requirement by immigration office such as Canada,US and Australia.

Some countries also require a police certificate if you intend to work there. So my concern is one day I leave Vietnam to work in other countries, a police certificate is required in places where you have worked for more than 6 months continuously.

June 14th, 2009 at 10:37 am

If the company you are working for will assist with your Vietnam work permit, they will ask you to obtain a police clearance for Vietnam. When I did this I was given a form which I had to get signed by the local police to confirm where I was living (my landlady did this). This form then accompanied the police check application form. If you company knows what they are doing this part should be quite simple. Then you get a police clearance certificate back in due course (may take a few weeks).

So, as you are stating that you want a police clearance certificate when you leave Vietnam, you could always ask your company to do the same thing closer to the time that you are about to leave, thus giving you a an offical police clearance certificate to take to the next country that you choose to work in.

June 14th, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Citynirvana is right about this when migrating at a later stage. I needed police certificates for every country I stayed/worked in for more than 12 months (but did not need VN) for immigration authorities.

That's why in my earlier post I stated the British Expat Forum link, where people discuss this issue regarding migration to Australia (for example).

A poster on that website called "Mupps" in that link volunteers more information on the process on how he got it.

Also that website may offer your more specific responses as it is also visited by migration agents who contribute at times.

You don't need to be British to sign up for that site.

Good luck !

no photo available
June 14th, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Dear Loominpapa,

Thank you for your response.At least it gives me a glimmer of hope. It seems so futile when it is said that it is near impossible to get one.

June 15th, 2009 at 7:51 pm

You should be able to get it from the Justice Dept here in Hanoi. I've had other tricky paperwork done there and, while I had to wait a few weeks, I managed to get the documents I needed.

You do need this document, so you're not off base. I agree that your company could handle this most easily, but if you want to do it personally, grab a Viet friend and head over there. It won't be impossible - promise!

no photo available
June 15th, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Dear Dawanation,

Thanks for the tip. Do you know the address of this Justice Department? Just in case, what are the documents needed to get this (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap)?

Do they give you an English translated version as well?
Hope I can make Viet friends.

Best regards.....

no photo available
August 13th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Are you in Hanoi? it's at So Tu Phap, go to the end of Nguyen Trai, it's on the left just before the bridge in Ha Dong, on 142 Tran Phu

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
November 21st, 2011 at 2:14 pm

How long does it usually take to get the Certificate fr So Tu Phap?how many days aft applying?Thank a lot

November 21st, 2011 at 2:36 pm

It took me about 1 month.

November 21st, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thanks a lot Agent 004!

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
no photo available
May 1st, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thank you for this thread. Agent 004. What papers were you asked to submit to get the Judicial certificate?

May 1st, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Things I had to bring for the Judicial certificate

-passport (with a valid visa)

-registration of where you live (obtained by your landlord stamped by the local police)

-all forms filled in Vietnamese and in English

-the fee. (about 100, 000 - 120, 000 VND)

*** I would just recommend bring any and all papers that you have so you don't have to make 2 trips. ***

no photo available
May 1st, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thank you very much for your help and the needed information.The dilemma I have is, I left Vietnam 8-9 years ago, and now in a desperate need to get a police clearance. I will be sending the papers to my good friend( a Vietnamese) and I made him confuse. But now I know which papers to sent and fees as well.Its so hard being a non Vietnamese having left Vietnam many many many moons back and trying getting a police clearance. I glad found this page in the net. Good day.

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
no photo available
July 15th, 2013 at 7:27 am

Interested in learning if there are any updates, fees changes, procedural changes, etc. to obtaining a judicial certificate. The usconsulate link mentioned isn't working for me so any other official links would be appreciated.

October 2012
July 15th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I don't believe the procedure has changed in the last 12 months: Procedure for getting a criminal record extract for foreigners residing in Vietnam and procedure for getting a criminal record extract for foreigners formerly residing in Vietnam.

Helpfully, they even provide the forms in English.

October 2012
July 15th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Note that only Judicial Record No 1 can be applied for on your behalf, you have to attend in person to request a Judicial Record No 2.

According to the bottom of 03/TT-LLTP (Vietnamese version), Judicial Record No 1 contains only current, non-deleted judicial records, and at the requester's option may include information about being barred from starting or operating a business or co-operative due to previous bankruptcy declaration.

Judicial Record No 2 contains all judicial information, including deleted records.

Employers will probably only need No 1, immigration authorities want No 2. (*cough* just like the health checks...)

Looking at the forms mentioned above, I suggest that if you're applying within Viet Nam, you use the Vietnamese-Language 03/TT-LLTP form, not the English-language one. Despite it being on both pages, the English-language one only _matches_ the procedure on the "formerly residing in Viet Nam" page.

Procedure for getting a criminal record for Vietnamese people and foreigners residing in Viet Nam and procedure for getting a criminal record extract for foreigners formerly residing in Viet Nam are the same things in Vietnamese.

"Cấp phiếu lý lịch tư pháp" in the national administrative procedures database might also be helpful, but make sure when you look there that the price is 200.000VND (and 100.000VND concession price), and it's based on 13/2011/TT-BTP.

For example, Ha Noi's entries in that database have not been updated and still reference the old procedure, 07/1999/TTLT-BTP-BCA and the price is 100.000VND or 50.000VND concession price.

no photo available
August 2nd, 2013 at 8:24 pm

If requiring a police check when leaving Vietnam you can go to 12 Chu Văn An :)

August 3rd, 2013 at 1:01 am

To update this thread with some first hand information as I used it during my application, which was completed last week (Judical Record 2). I found the process quite simple, however I am currently in Hanoi, not an overseas applicant and I took a translator with me on both visits.

1. Check TNH for information (this thread).
2. Ask your landlord to go to the local police station to get a document you need from them stating where you live and for how long (this took 2 days for me).
3. Go to the So Tu Phap office, fill in a few forms and pay a small amount in VND, approximately 100'000, but I cant remember exactly.
3. Wait one month. You receive a receipt stating when your clearance will be ready. You can call in advance of this day to check it has arrived.
4. Collect certificate.

A final point, when asking at the office, this certificate is only supplied in Vietnamese so check with whoever needs it what they will accept as a translation and make sure to get the necessary official stamps before leaving the country.

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
no photo available
June 11th, 2014 at 2:38 pm

If you have left Vietnam and require a Police Criminal Records Clearance/Check Certificate do not dispair!

I recommend contacting Viet Anh Nguyen. He is a lawyer working for a reputable firm in Hanoi and specialises in these cases.

The specifics are: $550 and the certificate will take 20-25 days to obtain. The charge includes the international postage costs.

I used this service and Viet Anh was very informative and talked me through the process. Highly recommended, a very nice person and great experience.

(Viet Anh Nguyen at

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.