• Browse Spots
  • Review a Spot
  • Add a Spot
The Basics
Venue Categories
Some text
  • Activity Stream

Baby born in hanoi - Answers for Hanoi

no photo available
Baby born in hanoi
newtayho posted April 18th, 2011 at 3:21 pm to Paperwork.
Viewed 3913 times. Answered 14 times.

Hi to all

We are Expatriate in Hanoi.
My wife give birth a Child in hospital; they gave me a Birth Certificate.
What I will do now? I will register my child in our embassy only or we have to register also in Hanoi Justice Department?

Anyone have any experience like this.

Answers (jump to newest answer)

no photo available
April 18th, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Hi, best to ask your embassy. In our case (2 weeks ago) we got a "certificate" from the hospital, but it does not carry any official weight with our embassy. We had to get the official Vietnamese birth certificate from department of justice. You take the certificate from the hospital plus passport over there. Took about 7 days. Then we took that, forms and money to the embassy to apply for citizenship in the home country. We are vn/foreign couple, but as far as I know the same applies for foreign couples. Best to check with your embassy first.

no photo available
April 18th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Yep Dominic is right on the money. We are an Aus/NZ couple. We had to apply for citizenship at the Australian embassy before we were eligible to apply for a passport for the baby. In order to do that you have to have the birth certificate from the ministry of Justice.

From memory you have to take your marriage certificate also when you go to MOJ along with your own passports.

no photo available
April 18th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Yes, forgot about that. You do have to take marriage certificate to dept of justice as well as the other paperwork.

April 18th, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Definitely speak to your embassy.

If your marriage certificate is from a non-English speaking country and is not in English, you probably need to get it translated into English and certified at by a Vietnamese notary. This process was a major hassle for me and required multiple visits to various offices, some of which have peculiar hours.

Good luck!

no photo available
April 19th, 2011 at 11:26 am

thanks to all

April 26th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I'm having my baby in Hanoi and will be going through this process, however I am not married. Do you know if this will cause any problems with the dept of justice?

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
August 24th, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Hi all,

we are also planning to have our baby in hanoi by december and are not married - we are both french and we've been told by the french embassy that the birth certificate delivered by the vn authorities would not recognized/allowed the father's name on the paper.

we also considered to get married here at the french embassy but apparently, marriage done at the embassy are neither recognized by the vn authorities....

any of you have experienced this and how did you go through all the procedures?

also is that the department of justice that we have to go to because we've also been told to go to the district's people's committee of our place of residence to declare the birth...

many thanks for your guidance or any advice you could provide with to help us sorting all those things out...

all the best,

August 24th, 2011 at 10:22 pm

my advice? go home, get all snuggled & married & drunk, have yer little monkey (in a 1st world medical setting), and then come traipsing back to Hanoi. not sure why a western couple would jump through all those hoops for the sake of a couple of weeks, a couple of air fares, a couple of days in the hospital. jeebus...

August 25th, 2011 at 8:04 am

because we've been living and working in hanoi for 4 yrs.

we are really looking for helpful info from any of you who experienced the same situation.

August 25th, 2011 at 6:24 pm

My wedding certificate was not accepted by the VN govt, and the Dutch embassy couldn't help us (the various stamps required were more than 6 months old), but they were willing to write us a letter saying that according to documents they read, we were married in such and such a place and time. So it was not a real marriage certificate, but rather an official piece of paper with lots of stamps stating the marriage occurred.

If you managed to get married somewhere else (like Thailand), perhaps the French embassy could write you a similar document -- or maybe the Thai wedding would be ok, too?

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
October 3rd, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I am an American citizen but I was married in the Philippines. Do I need to get my marriage certificate notarized and translated by one of the Vietnamese services or by the US Embassy? It was issued the NSO in the Philippines.

October 2012
October 3rd, 2013 at 8:13 pm

If your marriage certificate was issued in the Philippines, it'll need to be authenticated by the Phillipines Embassy:

Then legalised by the Consular Affairs Office at 40 Trần Phú, Ba Đình, Hà Nội (assuming you're in Ha Noi, can also be done in HCMC or by post) as discussed on a couple of other questions in Ask ANH.

That's assuming you want to use it with the Vietnamese Government.

If you want to use it with the US Government then you need to check the requirements with the US Embassy or Consulate.

October 4th, 2013 at 8:43 am

Thanks TBBle.

November 29th, 2013 at 10:48 am

I just went through the entire process of getting a Vietnamese birth certificate and reporting my daughter's birth abroad to two embassies (US and Philippines). I figured I'd share the steps I had to go through to save others time and frustration. During the process, I ran into several expats who had no idea what to do e.g. they showed up to the Ministry of Justice with no paperwork, so hopefully this can help someone.

To give you some background, I am a US citizen, my wife is a Philippines citizen and our baby daughter was born here in Hanoi.

Documents and steps needed for Vietnamese Birth Certificate:

1. Hospital Report of Birth: The hospital will give you a Report of Birth. This is not a birth certificate but rather the document that you give to the Ministry of Justice. At Vinmec International Hospital, they will only issue one certificate: either in English or Vietnamese. The Ministry of Justice requires the Vietnamese translation, so that is what we got from Vinmec.

2. Marriage Certificate: Because my wife and I were married in the Philippines, we had to first take our marriage certificate to the Philippine Embassy and have it authenticated. We then had to take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (40 Tran Phu) to have it legalized (it usually takes one day). They tell you that you can request legalization online, but it is difficult to accomplish (they ask for the signing officer of your document, and if they're not in their database, you cannot proceed). After it was legalized, we had to get it notarized and translated, which we accomplished at 335 Kim Ma (Dao Viet Group). This also took one day.

3. Residence Verification: This was actually the most difficult part. Everything we read, both here and other sources, stated that we had to show the actual residence registration book, not a copy, to the Ministry of Justice. Our landlord hesitantly gave us the book, but the Ministry of Justice did not accept it. Why? The Hanoi City Police Department (the main police department) stamps the first page of the book to show that the book was registered with the main/central police department. However, each individual residence entry is stamped by the local police department. Well, the Ministry of Justice wanted the Hanoi City PD to stamp our individual registration sheet, but they would not do that. So what we ended up having to do was write a letter, in Vietnamese, stating that we are currently residing at such and such address, and then we had that letter stamped by our local police department. Our landlord ended up writing the letter for us, and then coordinating the letter stamping, so that we would save time.

4. Copies of Passport and Visas for both parents: We had to provide one copy each of our passport photo page, our visa stamp page and the page showing our latest entry. We didn't know that we had to have a copy of our entry page, so luckily there was a copy shop across the street.

5. Birth Certificate Application Form: We could not find this form online, so I had to pick it up from the Ministry of Justice and then take it home for my wife to sign because it requires signatures of both parents. Huge pain since we live in Tay Ho.

After you have all of the above documents, you take them to 1B Tran Phu in Ha Dong (not Ba Dinh). The actual birth certificate is free and each certified copy you request is 3k VND. The copies will be ready in two days. Make sure that you check all of the information on the birth certificate because ours had many spelling errors on it.

Report of Birth Abroad (Philippines Embassy):

If you happen to be a Philippines citizen, the report of birth abroad is very easy because Philippines law states that any child born to a Philippines citizen is a citizen (unlike the US, which I will explain in a moment). I won't go through the whole process here, but the documents that you need are listed on the Philippines website:

Note: The website does not state this, but the birth certificate translated to English must also be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

We went ahead and requested her passport as well, and here are the documentation requirements for that:

They said the documents will be ready in about 4-6 weeks. It was very simple; we were in and out of the Embassy in about 15 minutes.

Report of Birth Abroad (US Embassy):

This one was a bit more difficult because, unlike the Philippines, the US (safely) states that a child born to a US citizen has a potential claim to citizenship (and so they require a lot of paperwork). But let me say this: the people that helped me at the US Embassy, from all the phone calls and emails, were great. Any American citizen can tell you how hard it normally is to get anything done with a US government agency. But our US Embassy here is awesome.

All of the documentation and application requirements are outlined here:

It's very straightforward, but I will add something about proof of physical presence. I used my college transcripts for this, but they questioned one of my degrees because it was obtained from an online school, even though the transcript shows my actual residence was in the United States. So it's best to bring more documentation. I ended having a copy of my Social Security earnings statement, and after answering some additional questions, the consular approved my application on the spot; they gave us a form stating that our application was approved and the documents would be ready in about a month. It seems like it's up to the Consular here to approve the application, not an agency back in the US, which saves a ton of time. We only had to make one trip to the US Embassy and it took approximately 2 hours.

The whole process took us weeks, but hopefully this info will save you a lot of time.

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.