• Browse Spots
  • Review a Spot
  • Add a Spot
The Basics
Venue Categories
Some text
  • Activity Stream

Marriage in England for an already married in Vietnam couple - what's the point? - Answers for Hanoi, Northern Vietnam and Vietnam

Marriage in England for an already married in Vietnam couple - what's the point?
simplest2remember posted April 18th, 2012 at 4:16 pm to Paperwork.
Viewed 2751 times. Answered 3 times.

So, I've just picked up my wedding certificate from Hai Duong (at great under the counter cost I might add) and now I want to know, given we are going to England shortly, is there any benefit getting married there (for legal reasons)?

Does it make it easier to travel later on, or get hold of documents (e.g. British passport, driving license) when we head there in a couple of years?


Answers (jump to newest answer)

April 18th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Can't speak about England specifically mate, but for Australia they recognise the Vietnamese documents (translated of course) and they'd count for all that sort of stuff.

I know it's the wrong countries website, but this is the link for the Oz info - have a look a at its wording and maybe try and find something similar. I reckon it's likely that we copied it from the motherland anyway.

Me swimming from one boat to another hehe
April 18th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

You can ask for the translated certificate to be kept on record by the registry office or just translate it. From what I've heard as long as you get a legalization stamp from the MFA and possibly get that confirmed by the embassy it should be enough.

With our Belarusian marriage cert it was recognised with a stamp by the Ministry of foreign affairs in Germany and was also recognised for UK visa application.

Can't see the point of going through the process in the UK again as she'd have to apply for a fiancee visa.
If you want to apply to live in the UK you'll have to apply for a settlement visa and pay around 900 GBP and submit various documents. This is good for around 2 years I think and then she can apply for indefinite leave to remain.
Your other option is to live in an EU country where she can live and work with you for free for at least 5 years provided you have a job after 3 months of being there. Look into the freedom of rights of movement for EU citizens (this law does not apply to the UK though except under certain circumstances)

Good luck

April 18th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

As others are saying, I believe it's simply a matter of registering your marriage there. Bring the relevant docs along and it should be easy. Get them translated here - cheaper.

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.